Today, the Center will open an Employee and Family Recharge and Refresh (R&R) Station at the Gilruth Center for those JSC Team Members in need due to Hurricane Harvey. The R&R Station is available for badged civil servants and contractors and their families. There are also opportunities for those who want to volunteer or donate items.
- Doors open today (Wednesday, August 30) starting at 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Starting Thursday, August 31, Daily Hours of Operation are from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Gilruth Center, including the Fitness Facility, is NOT open for regular business.
- The Gilruth is located on Space Center Blvd between Bay Area Blvd and NASA Parkway, which will be the only way to access the Gilruth facility until further notice.
For those employees in need, the R&R Station will provide a clean, safe and familiar environment for JSC Team members to cool off, shower, charge electronics and give the kids a place to burn off some energy. We ask that everyone check in at the Gilruth Front Desk located in the Center of the building.
Today, we are offering the following services:
- Safe water to drink on premise
- Bring containers to take safe water home with you
- Showers (bring your own towels and toiletries)
- Checklists and resource listings to help you with next steps of home recovery
- Employee Assistance Program counselor
- Power strips available to recharge your cell phones and other electronics
- Please note that we will not have food, bottled water, or supplies available immediately, but you are welcome to bring your own snacks.
How to Help:
For those employees who would like to donate items to help those impacted by Hurricane Harvey, please bring your items to the Gilruth Center Destiny Ballroom during the R&R Station hours of operation. Please use the doors closest to the ballroom under the carport to drop off items.
- Items we need include (these are the only items that will be accepted at this time):
- Bottled water
- Non-perishable, canned food items only (for example, tuna, spam, ravioli, canned fruit)
- Baby Wipes
- Baby Food
- Baby Formula
- Toiletries (soap, deodorant, toothpaste, tooth brush, hair brush, shampoo, bath towels)
Please be on the lookout for information on a Swap Shop that will help coordinate individual specific items needed with available donors (i.e. clothes, furniture, tools, etc.).